All ministries are eligible to apply for Capacity Building for Results Program (CBR) and receive a degree of support. However, the extent of support to a ministry under the CBR program is determined based on the Tier classification starting from Tier 1 to Tier 3.
Ministries at the commencement of the program are regarded as Tier 1 ministries if they apply or do not. According to the development priorities of Government, the available fiscal envelop, and implementation capacity, ministries fulfilling the criteria for Tier one can apply to Tier two and three after making sufficient progress on strengthening their common function departments and the implementation of civil service with wide Public Administration Reforms (PAR).
After fulfilling the pre-qualification criteria required for the higher level of support, the ministries need to submit a comprehensive reform proposal to the Steering Committee for approval. The criteria are aimed at ensuring that eligible ministries have the commitment and capacity to use the CBR resources effectively to improve ministry results. If a ministry couldn’t meet the Pre-qualification criteria, it will remain its previous Tier.
Three main factors determining level of support given are: (1) the pre-qualification criteria, assessed through a Initial Application Form; (2) the ministry‘s suitability for implementation of a CBR program, assessed through a detailed reform proposal; and (3) the prioritization criteria, which applies to both stages of the process.
The MoF and IARCSC PSUs will be engaged and will have intensive dialogue with ministries applying for the Program and developing comprehensive CBR program Proposal.
The details of support provided to ministries based on their Tier are explained below:
Support to Tier 1 Ministry
- The ministry will be eligible to have grades 1 and 2 of CBR Common Function Group Positions (HR, Admin & FM, Procurement and Internal Audit) and a limited number of targeted Technical Assistance (national and international) for capacity development or for the implementation of reforms in common functions areas of a ministry
Support to Tier 2 Ministries
- The ministry will be eligible for CBR Common Function Group Positions (grades 1-2), a limited number of additional Senior Management Group Positions (grade 1 and 2), and a limited number of targeted Technical Assistance for the development and/or implementation of CBR program
- The recruitment of SMG positions of a ministry will be subject to development and approval of Tier 2 proposal and Results Framework by the Steering Committee. However, up to 3 SMG positions (in addition to the 4 CFG positions) could be recruited prior to the approval of the CBR Proposal, if requested by the line ministries and these three positions are subject to the approval of the Steering Committee of CBR Program
- Overall, the number of positions to be filled through CBR for SMG positions will depend on the progress of the Ministry on reform and obtaining results - more results more recruitment and less results and less recruitment
Support to Tier 3 Ministries
- The ministry will be eligible for Common Function Group Positions (grades 1-4), SMG positions, professional group/cadres, and targeted Technical Assistance (national and international) for the development and / or implementation of CBR proposals
- Number of positions to be filled through CBR for SMG, Common Function Group, and Professional group/Cadre positions will depend on the progress of the Ministry on reform and obtaining results - more results more recruitment and less results and less recruitment
- Ministry will be responsible to develop a targeted training plan and submit together with the proposal for the approval of the Steering Committee, basic training will be provided by the Afghan Civil Service Institute (ACSI) and technical trainings will be assisted by both MoF and IARCSC PSUs
- Professional group / cadre positions include grades 3 and 4 (in CBR) of the civil servants and it covers Common Function and Technical Positions of a ministry
- For Tier 3 ministries, 4 SMG level positions could be recruited prior to the development and approval of CBR proposals, in addition to the 4 Common Function Group positions that all ministries can obtain